Monday, February 20, 2012

Oh How I Hate Thee, Canon in D

Canon in D, Canon in D
Oh how I hate thee, Canon in D
After 7 years of meeting you yearly
You could have left me alone, but no
That is why I hate thee, Canon in D


I'd add more, but I have no idea how to describe just how horrible 32nd notes are.

Whiny post is whiny. You have been warned.



What are 32nd notes? They're basically like this:  8th note : 16th note :: 16th note : 32nd note


This means it's even faster than a 16th note. And I've never, ever played anything faster than a 16th note.


Oh yes. That is one of the reasons why I hate thee, Canon in D.

For each year that I was in grade school, they would play Canon in D for the annual honors assembly. I got so sick of it I could hum the entire thing to myself just to annoy myself even further!

Yeah, I'm funny like that.

After I moved to high school, they found something else to play. Thank God. I thought I was finally safe. And then...

I started taking guitar lessons the summer after 7th Grade. I ended up with a young teacher I didn't work well with. But I'm patient as well as stubborn. I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. So I stayed.

Unfortunately, that was a classical guitar course. I learned plenty about plucking and whatnot, but only later did I hear from my mother's friend that I would only learn the chords after years and years of learning. So I (rather happily) quit.

After that we set out to find an electric guitar teacher, seeing as that was what I wanted to learn in the first place. I had only one criteria necessary for my teacher: she needed to be female. And that made a simple task much more complicated.

Good news: we found a teacher. Bad news: she was my old guitar teacher.

I had my doubts. But I wanted to play the guitar. So I went.

And I had fun. I was learning my chords, and she told me to find a song I wanted to play on the guitar and bring the piece next meeting before we separated for Christmas break.

Guess what happened when I got back.

Long story short, at the place where I study music (I've been studying there since kindergarten) they have annual recitals that showcase the students' skills. Apparently, I needed a piece.

She didn't even mention the song she had me look for. She just handed me...

That's right. Canon in D.

Canon in D on the electric freaking guitar.

And now I am out of time, my recital is in 6 days, I haven't even memorized the last part yet and I have to play with a minus 1, which, as we all know, does not wait for you when you make a mistake.

I told my teacher I didn't have enough time to practice because school ends in two weeks and they're piling up the deadlines. Apparently, she's not as unfeeling as I thought, and offered to just cancel my part in the recital.

That was sweet of her. But I'm still changing teachers after this year. And this time, I don't care if it's a guy.

That's all for today,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment